Friday, February 19, 2010

Thought on a Snowy Day




“In the way of righteousness there is life, along that path is immortality.” Proverbs 12:28



I left the house yesterday in the snow, I backed out of the drive way on to the covered, icy road cautiously making my way to the “main” road, (living in as small a town as Unicoi you’d just have to see it to appreciate what main means!)
When the stop sign at the end of my road came into view I saw that the main road was indeed cleared off and I sighed with relief. I’ve had several go rounds, literally, on ice covered roads and it always leaves me a bit shaky, I couldn’t wait to hit that cleared off patch of black top! As I made my way toward Erwin I couldn’t help but admire the beauty of the cold, treacherous stuff.
I watched as others slowly made their way along their own slippery roads, to their own stop signs wondering if they’d be able to stop and if they were as relieved as I had been to see the clear path.
Then it occurred to me, this reminds me of life. We can be drawn in to the beauty of our surroundings and get so enthralled with it that we think, perhaps I can make it up this road or down that hill and see what’s there and off we go only to realize as soon as we hit that first slippery patch that we’ve erred, we’re stranded! We turn and look back to see the clear way beckoning. Sometimes we’re close enough to get back with out too much trouble. Sometimes we have to have binoculars to see the thin ribbon of road that leads to Life and have to struggle and fight but rest assured we can get there!! Oh the sweet relief we find when once again our feet rest on the clear, safe path that leads us Home!

I’m not now what I was, nor am I yet what I’m meant to be.

Enjoy your day!
Patti Hemphill

No comments:

Post a Comment