Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thinking of the Stamper family...

I'm pretty sure I'll never forget the phone call from Sandi Stamper a year ago today, August 12, 2009. It's as clear to me now as it was then, my disbelief as real. She told me words no mother wants to hear.

Andrea was in the hospital herself, she'd just had surgery that very day and I thought that is why Sandi was calling. But the words coming out of her mouth weren't about Andrea, but about Aaron. I couldn't even understand what she was saying at first...but slowly the words sank in. Aaron has Leukemia...
No one knew anything...for days shock, chaos and fear reigned.

I left immediately to go and sit with Andrea until her aunt could get there so Sandi could join Tim and Aaron in Johnson City. Andrea's main goal was to leave and go to her family, it was surreal. It still is. Aaron passed away on Friday, June 4, 2010.

Looking back it feels like five years have passed, then on the other hand it's like it was just yesterday. So much heartache, so much suffering.
In talking with Tim today I realize over and over again how inadequate I am in helping this family deal with a grief I just cant grasp, prayer is all I have to offer and I do always and I do now...

Father, today especially, I lift Tim, Sandi and Andrea up on the wings of prayer, this date is etched forever on their hearts as is June the 4th. Only you O Lord can help carry them through this next year of firsts, only You can help them deal with the pain of loss. I don't begin to understand it Lord, only You can see the whole plan. Be with them. In Jesus name...

No comments:

Post a Comment