Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Women of FCC





I'm not sure how many years the women of First Christian Church have had Circle groups and I'm sure all I need do is ask, I just haven't thought to! There is Joy Circle, Hope Circle and Love Circle. Twice a year all of the Circles come together to meet as the Christian Circle.

These Circle groups are geared toward studying the Word and adopting different areas of benevolence. Each Circle meets once a month and has a lesson or meeting, tithes are give to support whatever mission or to meet a need. Each group is also responsible for certain Church functions. During the month of December a lot of things start going on! All of the Circles are busy making goodie baskets to take to shut ins or children at the local girls home.

I am a part of Love Circle. We normally go the first or second Friday of the month to carol to shut-in's and at nursing facilities, then out to dinner and a rousing round of Chinese Christmas. This year, in addition to that we were asked to come and sing at a retirement center where one of our members now lives. Love Circle was joined by a couple of members from the Hope Circle and we were happy to have them!
It just never ceases to amaze me how singing a few songs can make people so happy...it never ceases to amaze me how songs can become more powerful when you watch the expressions cross faces wizened by years. It touches me to see their lips moving or a foot tapping or to hear one humming......such a simple thing.
It's in being there I realize how very close to that we all really are, we just don't realize it until we hit middle age! I will go to bed tonight praying for all of those folks, and praying that I learn to not take one day for granted.

The length of our days is seventy years or eighty if we have the strength yet their span is but trouble and sorrow for they quickly pass and we fly away.
Psalm 90:10

No comments:

Post a Comment